Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SSL VPN's from LAN to WAN

From: "Yahsodhan Deshpande" <yahsodhan.deshpande () nevisnetworks com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:11:33 -0800

Hi,

  This is exactly where you need to go beyond traditional firewall and
look for identity based solutions.

   What you need is not just inbound and outbound rules for the entire
network, but specific rules as per the identity of the person that logs
in.

  There are few solutions out there which can solve your problem and do
much more. Have a look at Nevis Network's appliance
(www.nevisnetworks.com)

  To solve your specific problem, try putting the contractors on
different VLAN, and then configure the ACL's at your firewall
accordingly. This has its management overheads and the contractors would
loose mobility. But it would work around till you switch to identity
based solution.

Regards,
Yashodhan