Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Risks/dangers of unauthorized web proxy

From: Steve Olive <steve () bathurstcomputers com au>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:15:05 +1000

On Thursday 09 August 2007 16:47, julesgoolia () yahoo com wrote:
Hi! I am a new security analyst and have not been exposed to the technical
side of security.

I would like to ask about the risks/dangers from unauthorized proxies.
Some employees in our company   install programs in their workstations to
serve as proxy to other workstations that have not been given Internet
access.

Many thanks!

Remember that the system administrator is probably liable for any pirated or
unauthorised software installed on computers connected to the corporate
network. I'd recommend setting up policies and procedures to stop "anyone"
from installing any software on corporate systems.

Look at setting up your own proxy, with filtering software, and only allowing
the proxy server to access the Internet through your gateway/firewall.

I recommend Squid (http://www.squid-cache.org/) and SquidGuard
(http://www.squidguard.org/) using the blacklists from Shalla
(http://squidguard.shalla.de/shallalist.html) which can be installed easily
as part of most Linux server distros (Ubuntu, openSUSE & Fedora are probably
the easiest for beginners or Debian, EnGuarde Linux, Smoothwall, etc for more
advanced users).

This will put you back in charge of the network and security.

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions