Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unix/Linux accounts integrated within AD?

From: Steve Olive <steve () bathurstcomputers com au>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:50:09 +1000

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:44:03 pm Dummy cerberus wrote:
Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for your help wit my question about
GPOs and so on... your answers helped me a lot...

Now I have the following question: I have found that my organization
has several kind of OS installed on computers... most of them are
W2K/W2K3 integrated within a W2K domain...

Since admins have to remember lots of accounts/passwords for the W2K*
servers, and the others with Linux, HP-UX, Solaris, etc... I have
found that most of the passwords are too simple, and repeated all over
the non-W2K* systems...

I have tried with a password manager, but some times we lost a
valuable time searching for the strong password for one system at the
password manager software...

Is there anyway to integrate the OS accounts of UNIX-like sysetms with an
AD?

Best regards

Microsoft AD uses Kerberos (v5) authentication and *nix systems can be
configured to use Kerberos as an authentication scheme. The
ActiveDirectoryHowto goes into more detail:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryHowto

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions
e-mail: steve () bathurstcomputers com au
Mobile: 0407 224 251
.... _
... (0)>
... / / \