Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Logging Archival Solutions?

From: "Ahsan Khan" <jahilkhan () verizon net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:43:15 -0400

Hi,

        It depends what you want to achieve by implementing a log collection
solution.

        A SIM Device like RSA solution will Collect all the data as fast as
possible (may be faster then other products in the market) but may not
create a relationship between an attack happening to MS windows server where
packet is traveling from a Cisco router to a switch to a server.

        Normally if ones Edge Devices / Firewalls are from a single Vendor
and servers and other devices are from others it's a good idea to have 2
different solutions in place which can understand each other.

        Cisco MARS has achieve this by integrating into MS MOM solution. So
now from Edge Device to Switching to Firewall to VLANS to the server a
packet flow is traceable which enable us very quickly to isolate and
identify a situation.

        More over if one has an IPS solution implemented and integrated into
above setup it works great (Considering every thing is configuring right).

        Please note that effectiveness of these solutions also depends
knowledge of Administrator and available resources. If configure right these
solution provide alerting systems which can alert a security team of an
attack happening if detected rapidly.

One can spend hours on this discussion but a person with the knowledge of
current setup is the best judge for implementing the solution.

Regards
Ahsan Khan