Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Local PC Admin Group change - Alerts

From: "Kurt Buff" <kurt.buff () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:00:10 -0700

On 8/16/07, Tinu Koshy (CISD) <tkoshy () adco ae> wrote:

Dear List,

Is there a way to get information about changes done to the Local
"Administrators" group of a PC that is attached to the domain. I know
that it is possible to get information about changes in the user groups
defined within the AD, but that is not my objective instead my concern
is about local admin / power user groups within individual PCs connected
to the domain.

I do not want to check in the event viewer of individiual PCs but hoped
to see this info come to a central place or to the event viewer of any
of the domain controllers within the network whose logs are already
being audited.

If anyone has thought abt this before & know a way to achieve it without
the installation of any agent on PCs barring a logon batch file if
necessary, please would you let me know of the same.

Thanks,
Tinu Koshy

PS: My paranoia comes from the fact that we have over 40 domain
administrators. I hope to put in a process correction there but only
once I have some technical controls to back me.

I'd suggest turning up the security logging on the local machines,
then installing something like the SNARE client from sourceforge
(http://www.intersectalliance.com/projects/index.html) - that will
monitor your event logs, and send each event back to your central
syslog server. Also, I've heard good things about EvtSys, but haven't
used it - https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/UNIX/evtsys/

This, of course, requires a syslog server as well, but there are many
alternatives for that, including *nix (I prefer FreeBSD) and Windows
(I love the Kiwi syslog server). Then it's a simple matter of
monitoring your syslog server(s).

Kurt