Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network redesign

From: "Tony Reusser" <treusser () filertel com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:12:05 -0600

In general, any resource that needs to be accessed from the Internet should
be on your DMZ.  If you have a database that the public needs to see, then
set up a secure replication process from your SQL server on your
inside/secure network, through the firewall to a duplicate database on the
public server on the DMZ.  If you have an internal box where needs change,
then PHYSICALLY MOVE it to your DMZ segment.  You need to tell your boss
this is what you are doing, no ifs, ands or buts.  You should have the
"say-so" as far as network security is concerned.  Under no circumstances
should any outside resource be allowed to initiate unsolicited connections
into your secure area.  Only allow incoming traffic via VPN and only when
you know EXACTLY who it is and what they are doing.

This is just a very general overview of "best practices."  Your network is
unique and you will have to deal with legacy issues like all of us in the
real world do.

www.sans.org is a good security oriented website.  The emphasis is on
security training, but they have good articles and references on industry
standards and best practices.

I hope this helps.