Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: which of these ways (if any) are the best to switch to it sec?!?

From: "Justin Ross" <jross () cricketcommunications com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:36:10 -0700

 Well you could parlay your router, switch, server experience into a
network security career. The first thing you should decide is what
security position interests you? Penetration tester, network security,
policy/risk management, auditing, secure programming consultant,
forensics? There is a plethora of security jobs/specialties out there,
each requiring different skill sets (Programming, Engineering, hacking,
etc.) and experience.

My advice initially wouldn't be to go down the CEH path, because it is
more penetration testing/hacking focused; and without experience, I'm
not sure that will be a valuable cert to get your foot in the door. It's
just not that necessary of a certification, though I have noticed that
more DOD contractors/civilian employees are getting it (after they get
their CISSP usually). While penetration testing is a great career, it
also requires (in my opinion) a programming background or at least
fairly in-depth knowledge of programming, and while CEH doesn't make you
a penetration tester, it also doesn't make you a security
expert/professional either.

You could go the CCSP (Cisco Certified Security Professional) route,
which requires a CCNA which may help you should you get a job in network
support. I would also recommend the CISSP, and though I rarely recommend
the Security+, in your case (depending on your experience/knowledge
level) may be very beneficial. The CISSP is almost like a high school
diploma for security professionals, if you don't have it you will lose a
lot of opportunities. You might just get by reading the security+ book
too and not take the certification, because it's value is questionable
like the A+ (in my opinion).

I would also recommend reading as much security information that you can
online and books, maybe invest in a safari membership and soak in as
much as possible from the books available there
(http://safari.oreilly.com/browse?category=itbooks.security)

If I were you, based on your experience, my certification/knowledge path
would be:
1. Read as many books and security/hacking websites as you can focusing
specifically on security related topics like VPN's, Hacking exposed,
Linux Security, Router security, etc. Read through the DOD STIG's and
self-study why they say to turn certain things on and certain things
off.
2. CCNA/CCSP
3. CISSP (read a good CISSP book like CISSP all-in-one by Shon Harris
while you're studying your CCNA/CCSP materials just to reinforce what
you are learning from a non-vendor specific resource)
4. GIAC

While you won't be able to do all of them at once, it would be an
excellent path to get you into the security profession and give you a
really solid background to succeed in my opinion.

Justin.Ross
Security Engineer