Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Unknown user agent in my logs...

From: "Clinton E. Troutman" <clint.troutman () sbcglobal net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 11:30:32 -0500

On Monday 09 April 2007, lordl3ane () gmail com wrote:
Did you do any analysis of the host the packets are preporting to be
from?  Looking up the IP @ DNSStuff?  Trace Routing it?  Geolocating it?
Maybe even port-scanning it?

EB

I know the IP info (same DSL subnet as my own), For the same reason,I know
the traceroute, I know the geolocation...

I intended to capture packets and possibly port scan but SBC coughed and
caused my IP to change (for unknown reason, I don't think related to
this...).

That scan has disappeared, for now.

Yesterday, a similar scan appeared but at a much decreased rate (about once
per hour) and from a different IP (on same subnet). Wondering if it is the
same machine... Since I was unable to capture packets on the original scan,
nothing to compare.

Neither scan is constant; the machines appear to be disconnected (turned
off) except for a few hours per day (mostly evenings). Swatch alerts me
when the scans appear.

Planning to capture packets on the new scan... when it reappears. Will let
you know what I find...

--
Clinton E. Troutman
Independent Computer Consultant for Home,