Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Enterprise Log Management Systems

From: Steven Hollingsworth <steven () aznc com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:42:31 -0700

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 07:26:23PM +0530, Tornado wrote:
Hi All,

I would like to know which are the best Enterprise log management systems
out there in the market. Both commercial and Open source are fine.
Here are the requirements:

I've heard splunk [0] works well, if you wanted to go with an FOSS
solution you can always use syslog-ng [1] Also, this [2] site has a lot
of good information scattered around.

1. Log collection from variety of systems like Windows, Linux, Routers and
firewalls.

Windows has a utility called snare [3] that can send it's events to a central syslog
server.

2. Analysis of collected logs and co-relation.

3. Report generation for the activities for starndards like ISO 270001

4. Email/SMS alerts.

For these requirements I use a variety of tools, one of which I find
most handy is called SEC [4], using that in conjunction with other tools
that can mine logs and generate reports in a digestable format would
IMHO work well.

~ stevo

[0] - http://www.splunk.com/
[1] - http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html