Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity

From: "Lord Bane" <lordl3ane () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:34:08 -1000

Dan/Craig;

I'm really disappointed that there was a "decision" to terminate this
thread.  Although I have to admit that this is a very long and loud
thread, I believe that this topic is a fundamental issue in combining
Information Technologists into a Security/Law Enforcement career
field.  The very fact that it has spawned such an in-depth debate is
the very reason it should be considered.  If the intent of this forum
is to create a bunch of soap boxes and shut down any real security
discussions between professionals both old hats and new blood, then
this place is a waste.

It's 100% acceptable to disagree.  If everyone thought the same, we
would never advance as a society.  It's the nature of innovation to be
deviant from the accepted culture.  This is exactly what our Black-Hat
adversaries do on a daily basis.  To shun the process of academic
discussion on what works and what doesn't isn't helpful.  There are
still obvious concepts that are not being communicated.  Instead of
getting frustrated and annoyed, take it upon your professional selves
to champion and challenge your beliefs at the same time.

1)  Again I would like to point out that obscurity *IS NOT* a
preventative or detective control, it's an avoidance control!

2)  A firewall is not a type of obscurity since there is not a random
chance someone will come across the systems behind the firewall by
hammering against the firewall itself.

3)  Non-encrypted steganography IS an example of obscurity since it's
publicly viewable, if someone happens to look for it.  I believe this
may have been the one prime example of successful obfuscation.

4)  Books get old and talk about yesterday's methodology.  I've used
books as classic examples of why people who just read and accept
things are probably one of the worst candidates to be considered
security professionals.  Maybe that works in information technology,
but it does not work in security.  Quoting books, and relying on
authorship as a prime reason for your correctness is asinine in my
opinion.  I've quoted books in writing papers about what not to do and
in propagation of misleading information within the security
community.

Sincerely,

Eric B.