Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: UTM

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:21:07 +1000

I agree. Small networks with restricted funds are the best target for
this device.

I still have an issue putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak
though.

The primary issue that I see with UTM's in small organisations is that
they are deemed set and forget. This may be wrong and I understand this,
but the devices suffer from the admonishments of the vendor sales team.

I have heard them sold as one stop set and forget devices. Though most
on the list are likely to have issues with this type of sales strategy,
most consumers of these devices are not people on this list.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO Box 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.