Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Anonymity via Tor?

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 18 Apr 2007 14:35:09 -0000

First, I know a certain other thread might have people on edge and a bit combative, but we don't need to spout things
like "you entirely failed to understand the purpose of..."  Come on, people...pretend we're in a bar sharing a pint
instead of at a debate table...

Second, neither of us are entirely correct or entirely wrong about Tor. I was wrong to limit the purpose of Tor, and
you are correct that it protects against eavesdroppers as one of its purposes.

Feel free to read the Tor webpage for their purpose (http://tor.eff.org/). It is meant to keep, for instance, a web
browser client anonymous to the target web server. The *is* making one participant anonymous to another. Feel free to
load up Tor and connect your browser to a website whose logs you control and tell me if you seem anonymous to your web
browser or not...

More information and links can be found here: http://www.onion-router.net/ if you want to read further.