Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Arcsight

From: Tremaine Lea <security-basics () ddiction com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:25:36 -0600

It would be virtually impossible for you to get what you need from any documentation that is publicly available because of the level of complexity of the SIM.

There is a java based console which is used by operators/analysts for the most part. There is an Oracle backend where events are stored/ persisted, a Manager (which the console connects to) which is responsible for handling inbound events, as well as multiple agent types to handle a variety of log events such as AD events, syslog, firewall/IDS/IPS etc.

Most work is done within the console itself, including managing certain agent parameters, creating one off and scheduled reports, creating and monitoring channels (events that are filtered for a very wide range of criteria including source, destination, targets, vulnerability, asset criticality, just to name a few)

If you are interviewing for a position where Arcsight figures in the environment, you would be best focussing on understanding incident handling and investigation as there is just no way one can cram for this SIM.

Having said all that, I am somewhat curious as to whether you are looking at a position in Calgary ;)

Additionally, it's rather poor form to use a completely fake email address that bounces when people reply to it. If you are concerned about your privacy it's just as easy to create a real hotmail address with a randomly generated username and connect via anonymous proxy.

Cheers,

---

Tremaine Lea
Network Security Consultant

Be in pursuit of equality, but not at the expense of excellence.