Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security procedure question

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:17:56 -0400

One way to discourage users from writing down passwords is to stop the
idiotic practice of expecting them to remember strong passwords - they
can't! So if you're imposing a policy of strong passwords you must assume
they'll be written down. Strong passwords are a token.

Strong passwords, by definition can't be remembered. They have to change
frequently and they're not to be used on multiple systems which would expose
them to the "weakest link" syndrome.

Here's Kousky's Algorithm - we've been teaching it for five years and it's
still better than most simple alternatives.

One option to help is to let them write them down - even tape them to their
machines, but leave a four digit pin missing from the string. It can be
after each capital letter in the string so what is written down is:

Kw3$34Q3@AS

But the real submitted password requires my four digit pin: 1234 be inserted
after each capital letter ... that is, after the K goes a 1, after the Q
goes the 2, etc.

Real submitted string is

K1w3$34Q23@A3S4

If you don't get over the crazy idea of strong passwords you're part of the
problem. We need strong strings to submit over the wire or on a laptop and
that can best be served by multifactor solutions.

We consider this one and a half factors. Strong factors are hard to
duplicate and you know if they're missing.

You might also check out our paper for '02 - "Strong Passwords are an
Oxymoron"

Regards

KWK
IP3 Inc.