Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Looking for the softwares to monitor our file server

From: "Demi" <hang10z () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:56:10 -0400

You can enable auditing on any folder in windows 2003.  Just right click on
the folder, go to "sharing and security", then "security" tab, at the bottom
click on "advanced".  Select the auditing tab, click add, select the group
or users to track, then pick what actions will be you want to track.  IN
your case I would select

Create files/Write data                 Success/Fail
Create folders / append data            Success/Fail
Delete Subfolders/Files                 Success/Fail
Delete                                  Suceess/Fail

This will log all the info you need in the security event log.  It may be a
little hard to read at first but I've never needed a 3rd party tool to
monitor my file servers.