Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: The Emergency Email and Wireless Network

From: Bob Radvanovsky <rsradvan () unixworks net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:39:06 -0500

This service has been used by many amateur radio (ham radio) operators for years for severe weather spotting.  So far,
this has been a FREE service, but they have been limiting their broadcasts for such events.  This web site is starting
to "encourage" people to subscribe for the commcercial version at $29.50 PER MONTH.  Also, they are encouraging usage
from "first responders"; that is, emergency management people who work for government or private sector businesses,
such as ambulance carriers, fire prevention or private law enforcement.

This email service has been around for several years -- well before 9/11.  I'm surprised that you've not mentioned it
before.  It's a great service, but as a ham radio operator, I want it kept FREE (the main reason why us ham radio
operators are called "amateurs" is not because we don't know what we're doing technically, it's because we're chartered
not to receive cash or financial compensation for our services to our communities and governments).  If at all
possible, accept the advertisements.  This will keep the service FREE for such groups and communities as the ham radio
operator groups that depend on weather announcements for spotting.

Thanks.

-r