Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Device Authentication - The answer to attacks lauched using stolen passwords?

From: Nick Owen <nickowen () mindspring com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:54:08 -0400

Saqib Ali wrote:
mention) than a trusted platform. It might actually be better to use
passwords for the session authentication and an OTP for the transaction.

but weren't there attacks on OTP recently:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/07/13/2-factor_phishing_attack/
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/citibank_phish_spoofs_2factor_1.html

I think client device authentication would have prevented these attacks.

Perhaps - I assume you mean with a trusted platform, not easily spoofed
 cookies and ip addresses etc.  But, they are MITM attacks, so host
authentication would *definitely* have stopped the attacks.

It is much easier to do host authentication than to do secure device
authentication.  There a number of ways to do host authentication
available today.  We validate the SSL certificate of the site before
delivering the OTP, for example.  There are a limited number of trusted
platforms available today and it will take forever to replace all the
PCs out there, so it makes sense to me to do host authentication.

nick

--
Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.