Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: proper password handling

From: "Isaac Van Name" <ivanname () southerlandsleep com>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 12:19:29 -0500

As always, Mario, I enjoy reading your posts as they are entertaining, if
not always considering an alternate opinion.  That being said, I agree 100%
that three-way authentication with biometrics is a strong method that should
be employed.  For a company that is at all worried about security (which
should be every company), this is worth the investment.

However, in cases where, for whatever reason, the company will not go that
route, there are reasonable alternatives.  In this respect, I have to say
that Robert's quote is not a bad idea, although I would not call it the
"best" solution.  The best solution would be a member of a multiple-point
authentication method, like the one above.

In a company that doesn't want to go the "best" route, you have to improve
what you already have as best as you can.  Consider this:  Yes, we can fire
everyone that writes down a password because they can't remember it but,
then, all the offices in my workplace (except mine) and probably everyone
else's would be empty.  (Office personnel != computer literate) in most
cases.  Educate, threaten, warn, discipline... and they still do it.  It's a
fact of life.  We're just smarter and more capable than them.

One thing I've noticed time and time again about network security is that
you have to take into account who you're securing.  For instance, if some
office personnel need 3 websites to perform job-related tasks, but you
decide you don't want anyone to have internet access, then you'll probably
get fired quickly.  Same with passwords... if you set the standard so high
that employees just keep getting fired, management will probably plant a
foot in your hind quarters and give you a nudge.

You already know that they're going to write down the password, so work off
of that.  Make a password between 11-14 characters and a "passphrase" inside
of it (starting at a random location) that's 4-6 characters long.  Make the
passphrase something they can remember with a pneumonic ("I have 2 Dogs" =
Ih2D).  Let them write down the rest of the password ("j4f6QA15") and tell
them where the passphrase goes (after the 4 = "j4Ih2Df6QA15").  Now, you can
complain that security is compromised (and it is to an extent), but you also
have to consider how the REST of it can be compromised:

How long would it take to brute-force a 12-character password?  True, it
would take less time if you knew the written 8 characters, but you'd still
have to "brute" the passphrase for an undetermined amount of characters at
any position in the written portion... quite a daunting task still.

Then, if they write down their pneumonic, shoot them.  They deserve it.
Enforce what you know they can handle, and make that meet your security
needs.  It's worked for me so far, and I still have a job.  One thing to
remember, too:  No matter how much you secure your network, it will ALWAYS
be susceptible to compromise... you just have to defend as best as you can.

Isaac Van Name
Systems Administrator
Southerland, Inc.
ivanname () southerlandsleep com

"What good would you do with an ignorant employee? Ignorance is grounds for
dismissal..." - Mario Spinthiras

Open Source developing at its finest:
"Written in vim, W3C valid and UTF-8 encoded, for her pleasure."

Disclaimer:  This email is intended only to be used to feign intellectual
mastery of a subject or superhuman command of the English language, when
profanity is involved.  By reading this email, you are agreeing to cease all
correspondence with the sender upon realizing your own ignorance, and
furthermore to refrain from taking legal action against said sender when
your compounding ignorance crushes your inadequate self-esteem.  Have a nice
day.