Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption as a accepted mean of sanitization

From: "Sadler, Connie" <Connie_Sadler () brown edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 13:08:48 -0400

Sanitization ensures the data is *gone*. Encryption simply ensures that
the data is inaccessible until such a time that it can be cracked (could
be 2 years, could be 20 years) - but the data is still there - and
potentially crackable.

Connie J. Sadler, CM, CISSP, CISM, GIAC GSLC
IT Security Officer
Brown University Box 1885, Providence, RI 02912
Connie_Sadler () Brown edu
Office: 401-863-7266