Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Changing the domain password policy

From: sfmailsbm () gmail com
Date: 17 Oct 2006 05:30:15 -0000

.. developers have set a number of weak passwords. So my plan is to
contact the developers and request them to change passwords... applications and such do not break during transistion.

Normally the change in the password policy should have NO EFFECT on existing passwords
The new policy that you will be applying will take effect during the next password change; However the accounts that
your developers have used have most probably been set to "PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES"

The same logic applies to all user accounts in your domain, the current password of the user will not be an issue, it
will be during the next password change (either triggered by user or when password expiry is reached) that the new
policy will be enforced

Hope this helps