Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VLANs confusing - Explained

From: "Michael Dieroff" <michael () bluescreenit co uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:10:00 -0000

Hi Erick and list,

The password you are referring to belongs to a protocol called VTP (VLAN
Trunking Protocol). This protocol is responsible for dynamically
distributing VLAN's across the layer 2 network to all devices that are part
of the VTP domain and have the correct password and VTP mode (Server, Client
or transparent).

VLAN tagging cannot have passwords attached as this would imply that all
devices communicating with the switch would need to have a software area to
configure the 'vlan' password... This option does not even exist with a GUI
rich o/s like XP.

The VLAN password referred to, I am pretty sure, refers to the likes of the
VTP domain password.

Mike.

Michael Dieroff