Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: analysing network activity of processes on my pc

From: "Michael Dieroff" <michael () bluescreenit co uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:00:05 -0000

Hi,

Built into XP home/ Pro and Server 2k3 is the command line utility netstat
(Well actually netstat has been around longer than that and is not only
found in windows).

Simply in command prompt type:

Netstat -b

This will show you the addresses, state of the connection, the process id
and the exe responsible for the connection!!!

Netstat has a few more options. Try:

Netstat -n, netstat -p tcp, netstat -p udp, netstat -s, netstat -a for a
start (Each one is an individual command).

A free app option is active ports but use what is there - eg netstat!

Regards,

Mike.

Michael Dieroff