Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: IPS vs application firewall

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 17:35:21 -0800

  A firewall is always an inline device; usually, it functions as
a gateway in addition to its policy enforcement duties.  One
consequence is that it imposes a certain overhead on even "good"
traffic.  The firewall rulebase is generally pretty static (except
for a "stateful" element).
  An IPS frequently links one or more sensors, frequently not
inline, with a dynamic inline filter that is activated to block
specific live traffic.  Distributing the detection out of line
and activating only filters currently needed can improve both
flexibility and performance of the solution.

David Gillett