Security Basics mailing list archives

opening port 143 imap

From: "Jax Lion" <jv4l1n4 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:59:08 -0500

Some mobile devices (and service providers) does not seems to provide
ssl service to clients (or offer it at a premium cost).

As an alternative - I'm considering opening port 143 for imap in the
email server.  What are the security concerns/risk opening this port
and how can I reduce the risk?

Thanks