Security Basics mailing list archives

Segregation of duties trivia

From: Faheem SIDDIQUI <fahimdxb () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:04:11 +0400

Hi All...

I am preparing a "Segregation of Duties' Matrix within my IS function (Is there a better way to hit at the non-compliance point of 'lack of segregation of duties within the organisation', by external auditors?)

I found a very basic chart at ISACA website:
http://www.isaca.org/Content/ContentGroups/Certification3/CRM_Segregation_of_Duties.pdf <http://www.isaca.org/Content/ContentGroups/Certification3/CRM_Segregation_of_Duties.pdf>

According to this chart, some of the things in the Control Matrix are obvious but some aren't so.

For example: The chart suggests that A DB Admin cannot be an Application Programmer neither can he be a Sys Admin or Network Admin..Why?

Or a security administrator can be a Help Desk support personnel but cannot be a Systems Analyst or a Systems/Application programmer.

I was wondering, what's the potential control weakness in these two points??

What's the best way of documenting this 'Segregation of Duties' procedure for satisfying External Auditors?