Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: MS Audit logs

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 15:24:24 -0400

First you will want the logs to auto archive:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application]
"MaxSize"=dword:06400000
"Retention"=dword:00278d00
"RestrictGuestAccess"="1"
"AutoBackupLogFiles"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Security]
"MaxSize"=dword:06400000
"Retention"=dword:ffffffff
"RestrictGuestAccess"="1"
"AutoBackupLogFiles"=dword:00000001
"WarningLevel"=dword:0000005a

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System]
"MaxSize"=dword:06400000
"Retention"=dword:00278d00
"RestrictGuestAccess"="1"
"AutoBackupLogFiles"=dword:00000001

Then take a look at this for some methods of auditing your audits.

http://www.davekleiman.com/Files/HTCIACyberCrimeSummit_For_CD.zip

Dave

Respectfully,

Dave Kleiman, CAS,CCE,CIFI,CISM,CISSP,ISSAP,ISSMP,MCSE

http://www.davekleiman.com/about.php