Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 08:08:31 +1000

In respect of "natural rights" and the "founding fathers" - well this is
technically correct as all law is (supposedly) based on "natural
rights". "Natural rights" are those rights that reflect the
interpretation of the law of God (just the messenger here).

Trespass is a "wrong". It is not only property but also goods and the
person. Assault and Battery for example is a trespass.

"I have every right to make an arrest and determine the identity of that
person, even if they attempt to flee" - actually trespass to land is no
longer a crime but only a civil tort. Thus you have no right to arrest
them if they flee. You have a right to ask them to leave and a right to
take action in court. If you arrest them you are stopping them from
leaving and if they only committed a trespass than you will be liable
(possibly criminally).

You have the right to make a civil arrest in cases of a crime. You may
only do this after the event (police etc may do this prior). If the
person is not just charged but also convicted, than you will be liable
(at least in tort if not criminally) for False imprisonment and/or
deprivation of liberty.

In the case of the person breaking into a house, you may take ***
Reasonable action*** and use reasonable force to eject them. The right
to civil arrest is to hold them for another authority only. This is the
police or to take them to a magistrate.

Regards,
Craig