Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security."

From: Christian.Assfalg () bc boehringer-ingelheim com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:11:58 +0200

I agree.

Security can never be 100%. It is always a compromise between the security level you want to achieve and the effort you
can or want to spend to improve security.

It is also a compromise between security level and accessability / usability. The more secure something is, the more
complicated it is to use. Shure, if you had to type 5 passwords, enter 3 one time pads and perform a retina scan, that
would be very secure. But would this be practical to access an application you have to use constantly and which you
have to lock EVERY single time you leave your workstation for a minute?

(Which should actually apply to your workstation, if you take security serious. DO you lock your workstation every time
you go to the toilet, fetch something from the printer three rooms away, get some coffe...? Do your colleagues?)

And can you remember 5 passwords that change every three months? Well I guess I could manage 2, IF I used them
regularly, that is more than once a day.  I guess I wold have to have them written down for two or three days without
enumeration. Most users would either end up writing those passwords down permanently, or at least add some kind of
enumeration to it. There goes your password security.

Security, in my eyes, has two difficulties:
First, to cover ALL areas, to not loose the general picture in silly technical details. Also to have an understanding
of which areas are covered by you or your department, and which ones are covered by other people.
Second, to create an awarness for security and what it means in every single person that walks arround in your building.

Shure, technical security is an important thing. But technical security is rather easy to accomplish. If you have tight
security requirements, you will most likely have the biggest problems with user awarness.

It is for example nice to have telnet replaced by ssh. But how long do you need to type "rm -rf /" on an open root
shell from an unlocked workstation? Or how does this help you in case someone managed to install a hardware keylogger
to a couple of workstations? Or if there is a web-console without password or with a default password? Or if someone
sniffs the file where your passwords are stored while it is beeing backuped?

The list is endless, and I think the article does a great job in pointing out issues one would not think about at
first. I don't think we should panik due to this article or start improving security wherever we can. But for me, it
created sort of an awareness of how BIG this topic actually is, and how important yet complicated it is to implement.