Security Basics mailing list archives

AW: Encrypting data on fileserver

From: Christian.Assfalg () bc boehringer-ingelheim com
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 07:39:26 +0200

Hi,

I wonder what you want to achieve with encrypting the shares?

You can, depending on the OS, encrypt the data on the disks itself. This would be transparent to the clients, because
the fileserver would decrypt the data. In effect, this would only protect the data against someone stealing your disk
drives. I don't think this is an isue?

More interresting would probably be to encrypt the data over the network. I guess this should at least be possivle via
ssh tunnel or so. This would protect the data against someone sniffing on your network.

However, I'd say that there are more serious threads if someone is sniffing on your network than unencrypted fileshares.

Greetings,
Christian Assfalg