Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Article: "Security Absurdity: The Complete, Unquestionable, And Total Failure of Information Security."

From: "Adam Vollmer" <volmarias () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:28:42 -0700

Good god, thats a lot of rant.

You also forget that big business takes an attitude that they will sick a swarm of
lawyers after your butt if you do anything to harm their networks and systems.
Case in point is the recently posted article about someone who found a flaw
within a system environment, broke in, logged everything, told them about it, gave
them the necessary information, and asked for *nothing* in return, only to be
arrested for digital trespassing.

Since you can't link to the story in question, I can only guess, but I
expect that's just as much fun as coming home and seeing a note in
your bed that reads:

"Hey guy, you're using a model X46 type lock, which was recently
found to have a design flaw making it quite weak! Bad guys could break
in and steal everything! Use a X47 type lock instead! Hope this helps!
- Ted (555) 555 - 1234"

Reaction #1 is to call the police.
Reaction #2 is to call the locksmith after taking care of reaction #1.

I love to screech about "the corporations" as much as the next guy,
but your example sucks.