Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Sniffing A VPN Router

From: "Conlan Adams" <conlan () midwesteyebanks org>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:03:04 -0400

I am assuming your plugging directly into the switch on it correct?

Here's an option, uplink it to a hub (yes a hub) connect any of the
connections going into it into said hub, and plug yourself into the hub.
Proceed to sniff.  Switches work on virtual connections, i.e. your
computer has a virtual connection to whatever else it wants to talk to,
and you don't see the other stuff going on.  Hubs are party lines, every
one sees everything, but ignores whats not for it.

This is why I keep hubs around even today.