Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Bulk encryption capabilities of a TPM

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 21:12:42 -0700

My follow up question is, if the cryptographic engine of the TPM can
NOT be used for let's say encrypting a whole drive, how does the
external encryption module (hardware (ASIC) or software (wavesys))
accesses the wrapped encryption keys from the TPM?

One possible solution I forgot to mention in my email was that the
ASIC possesses a symmetric key which is used for bulk encryption. Now
the TPM has to only decrypt / encrypt this bulk encryption key instead
of the decrypting/encrypting the whole HDD.

Same thing can be applied to a software based solution. But where does
the software store this encrypted bulk encryption key????? You need
persistent storage for this key. A software alone can not provide a
safe place for this key.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net