Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Internet Keyword System..

From: "Dan Bogda" <dan.bogda () kintera com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:38:54 -0800

The Chinese mainland has been pursuing domestic technologies rather than
automatically licensing the ISO/Western technologies available, i.e.
cell phone protocols, encryption, now Keywords? This sounds like a
parallel to the existing Keyword system. AOL was one the early pioneers,
other players are iKeyword and Yahoo to name a few. Essentially these
companies have a user base and they provide an alternative search method
for a fee to participating businesses. This same practice has morphed
into paid search engine results and other targeted advertising.

I have included some links to the CNNIC site that detail the press
announcement and the terms. Your initial instincts are not far off, but
this is essentially what AOL did when they first debuted their keywords.
I can't say whether this is official or not, but they are trying to
create a system that sits above DNS and charges for the use of easy
keywords instead of long domain names. Just like AOLs keywords, you can
choose to ignore it and people will still find your site. Unfortunately,
just like DNS and AOL keywords, someone else can register keywords
related to your company or industry.

If you are considering writing this off as a joke, don't forget that the
Chinese mainland has done something very similar with their patent
system. They allowed foreign companies a window to patent their
technology after introducing them in China. Those who failed to register
in time lost any patent protection since China recognizes their patent
system over those of foreign countries.

If you are worried about the legitimacy, I would suggest finding a good
lawyer. If you are worried about the necessity, that is a business
decision. China is your closest neighbor and I'm sure they represent a
large percentage of your customer base. If you are not paying for other
keywords though, why start now? This is just another player in a
saturated market, however they do have a rather large user base.

Good luck,
Dan

Home Page:
http://www.cnnic.net.cn/en/index/index.htm