Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: How hackers cause damage... was Vulnerabilites in new laws on computer hacking

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 08:36:46 +1100

Hello,
A kid or adult or whatever (and the figures show that most script
kiddies are adult - see prior post)

Point 1 - Loss of life
There is an example a few years back in the UK. A male nurse was
"exploring" the hospitals servers and other attached systems. These
systems ran a database. The result was that patient scripts where mixed
up.

This case *luckily* was discovered before any lives where lost. Several
people did get hospitalised.

Next NY 1993. A 21 YO male broke into the Bell systems to "study the
internal workings". This resulted in the emergency services response
lines (i.e. 911) being unavailable for a time. I see this as a threat to
life. I hope that you do as well.

USA Boston 1997, male - under 18 (age not recorded) The person accessed
airport computers causing damage and disruption to air traffic control
computers. He also broke into a pharmacy and accessed prescriptions, he
also caused the local phone company to be down for 6.5 hours on one day
(including emergency calls).

NZ ([2001] NZCA 71) - April 2001, another break into a phone company and
cause inadvertent damage case.

We are NOT talking a "super hacker". They are less likely to cause
inadvertent damage.

The script-kiddies you talk about are NOT kids in general. There are
MORE 50 + script kiddies charged than there are under 18's. Most script
kiddies are in their 20's (I posted the stats previously)

Regards
Craig