Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSH Scans

From: "Rodrigo Fernandez" <rod.rio () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:10:00 -0300

Hi,

Nice work you did out there!

Here in Brasil we do have researches like this too. There is a
brasilian CSIRT called CAIS-RNP (www.rnp.br/cais) that cares for the
RNP internetwork and has been studying SSH brute force attempts in
Brasil for about a year.

It is confirmed that high-speed automated brute-force tools are
running in brasilian hosts, specially in Universities, where security
area is not well implemented. Those hosts become potential victims
because of the good equipment, long uptime records and low-level
security policies.

CAIS discovered that Japanese words are being used, and modifying a
SSH Server, they disclosed the passwords, revealing also new
behaviours of those automated tools.

Dictionaries words are no longer the danger of "root","admin" and
"guest" accounts... Attackers are now trying passwords intelligently
built. Passwords like "1q2w3e" and "qwerty" are also been used. But
curiously CAPS letters still not being used.

Att.
Rodrigo Fernandez