Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sorbs.net DNS Blacklist

From: Dale Fay <dalef () merit edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:55:39 -0500

  However, since bounce messages *are* required by RFC821, it
seems to me that outfits like sorbs.net need to therefore
cultivate some expertise in differentiating faked bounces
from the real thing.  I suspect that sending a message to
the allegedly bouncing address and examining the response,
if any, would be pretty conclusive.

  RFC821 is now obsolete and replace by RFC2821. RFC2821 says that
undeliverable mail can be bounced or rejected. If you send message
instead of rejecting it at the time of the SMTP connection, you risk
being blacklisted or flooding an innocent third party with spam.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus