Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: AD Policy audit tool for Windows 2000

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:29:20 -0400

You can, but there are additional issues involved when managing
server-based GPO's from XP. Doing normal AD things like adding users,
etc...no problems. But there are things missing on the XP side that are
not on the W2K3 side, and that even applies for fields in user accounts.
If you administrate user accounts from the server, you can see more
stuff, than if you adjust them from XP (in most normal cases). So, yes,
you can administrate AD and GPOs from XP, but I'd RDP to the server and
administrate it from there to avoid missing fields, overwrite issues,
and other problems.

While we're at it, you should try to do all your GPO mgmt from a single
DC as well, so you don't have conflicts/overwrites from other servers
from other administrators (i.e. they open and modify something on one
DC, you open and modify the same object on another-last saved one
wins.). It's a good practice to administrate AD and especially GPOs from
a constant central location, and preferably from a server.

You have been warned. <grin>

Just years of real life experience talking.