Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: [BULK] - RE: Microsoft Active Directory security concerns

From: "Ramsdell, Scott" <sramsdell () stinsonmoheck com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 15:56:36 -0500

Dennis,

You are certainly right.

I was merely commenting on what Dave's NT administrators are likely to
say to justify their point of using the existing AD structure.

However, Dave does indicate that many of the users of the portal will be
existing internal users.  These users will, in my experience, complain
up the chain of command if they are expected to use different accounts
to login to the external portal than they use to login to the internal
domain.  They will point out that (possibly) both OWA and TS are
available externally using internal credentials.

So, while we may all agree with Dave's hunches that this isn't the best
thing to do, I think he's in for at least a debate on the merits (and
now he knows their point of view a bit better).

Properly controlled, allowing access through a web portal isn't more of
a risk than allowing access through Outlook Web Access or Terminal
Services, in my opinion.  No, it's not ideal, but the business is likely
to take the risk.

Best Regards,
Scott Ramsdell