Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Active Directory security concerns

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:57:01 -0700

Using AD for external users is NOT a good idea. If you have to use AD,
see AD Federation Services:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8A4CCAF1-D55E-4129-8A5F-97093A48FD3D&displaylang=en

On 6/13/06, DHegenbarth () wrberkley com <DHegenbarth () wrberkley com> wrote:
All,

I have spent most of my time in network security and IDS/IPS technology so
I'm fairly new to security pertaining to MS Active Directory.  We are
being asked to evaluate web portal authentication/authorization for users,
most of whom are not employees of our company.  Our NT group wants to add
/ maintain users in an "external OU", in an existing domain, under our
existing AD forest.  I think this is a bad idea but I am not versed enough
in AD to argue the point.  Are there glaring issues with this strategy? My
concern is that if someone were to gain access to AD they might not only
effect external applications but internal production as well.

Are "external OU's" that secure?  Are there more secure authentication
schemes?

Dave

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP