Security Basics mailing list archives

lock down personal Win XP workstation

From: "sun sadm" <sunsadm () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:42:12 +0200

Hi colleague,

Sometimes I am forced to use Windows XP. I only run a Usenet, web,
IRC, mail, ssh client and music player. I regularly check for security
fixes.

To lock down my workstation I enable "Windows Firewall" to block all
traffic expect the applications mentioned above. I enabled "Automatic
Updates". Additionally I use "Security Configuration and Analysis" MMC
console and apply the predefined security template called hisecws.inf.
I don't use a virus scanner because I am not a license owner.

How secure is this setup? Are there ways an attacker can break my
system? Where are vulnerabilities? How would you break my system?

Nico