Security Basics mailing list archives

no daemons listening and errata updates (secure or not?)

From: "sun sadm" <sunsadm () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 20:45:11 +0200

Hi colleague

I am using Fedora Core as workstation. To lock down the OS, I disable
all network daemons: only dhclient is listening for network
connections. Furthermore I regularly update my installation using yum.
All other setting are out-of-the-box from Red Hat.

Is my simple setup secure to be connected directly to the Internet?
Does an attacker have a chance to break my workstation? How high is
the risk? What can I do to improve the security? How would you break
in my system? Please show me vulnerabilites in my setup.

Nico