Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Detecting multiple hosts behind a single managed switch port

From: Chris Serafin <chris () chrisserafin com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:20:25 -0700

Try SNMP tools and 'switch port mapper' by Solarwinds Engineer's edition

I was doing the same thing this week, enumerating targets from a large Class B internal network during a pen test

Chris Serafin
IT Security / Cisco Engineer
chris () chrisserafin com

Matt Kaar wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for a tool that can query a list of managed switches (both
Foundry and Cisco) via SNMP and return ports on those switches that
have more than one end host connected (based on MAC addresses).  It
would need to filter out ports that are connected to other managed
switches in the list as well as ports that are setup as trunk links.

I know that there may be some configuration/modification involved in
whatever tool I find, I'm just looking for something that keeps me
from coding it from the ground up.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus