Security Basics mailing list archives

How Windows Password Cracking Programs Work

From: winshel () camden rutgers edu
Date: 22 Jul 2006 15:33:12 -0000

Please excuse my lack of technical understanding of windows password cracking software.

My question is whether windows password cracking programs has to do with how these programs work.

Is it correct that they do not crack a password one character at a time?  That is, the password cracking programs
aren't able to determine that they have cracked the first character, or the first two or first three characters?

Also, is it correct that password cracking programs aren't able to determine - ahead of time - how long a windows
password is?

Thanks.