Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How many password cracking programs are there?

From: Hollis via Rubicon Recluse <hollis () rubiconrecluse com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:12:48 -0700

I think wikipedia did a pretty good job of explaining the various ways to crack passwords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_cracking

At 03:44 PM 7/22/2006 +0000, winshel () camden rutgers edu wrote:
This may seem like a silly question but, in many discussions of how windows password cracking programs work, it seems that the same small number of password cracking programs are mentioned (e.g., John the Ripper,L0phtCrack,).

In order to understand how to protect a windows computer from password cracking software, it would seem necessary to understand how the current password cracking programs work. But, aren't there lots and lots and lots of password cracking programs? There's tens of thousands of virus programs - is there not a large number of password cracking programs?

Thanks.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic Excellence
in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Using interactive e-Learning technology, you can earn this esteemed degree,
without disrupting your career or home life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus