Security Basics mailing list archives

Executing app with admin privileges

From: "Dummy cerberus" <dummycerberus () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:55:44 +0200

Hello everyone,

I have come across with the following problem:

I work at the systems department, and we MUST host every stupid
application that is developed all over the organisation... most of the
times with no common criteria at all, neither with common sense.

Now, we have to install a client/server application, and it has been
developed in such a way, that the user who executes the client side,
has to have "local admin/advanced user" privileges on the desktop
where he is executing it...

There's no way to modify that application, so I wonder whether or not
there is a tool that could allow me to configure the system in such a
way that all the users could execute that application, without giving
them "local admin/advanced user" privileges for the whole system (only
for that stupid application).

I wonder if there's a way to acomplish that wether with AD policies or
third party tools (better if free ;-)

Thanks in advance, and best regards