Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Secure Backups

From: "Dan Bogda" <dan.bogda () kintera com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:51:49 -0700

Rolando,
Generally, you want to avoid complexity unless it is absolutely necessary. If you are going to use separate users for
multiple environments putting them in the same group to reduce administration may make sense. If you use a group you
want to audit the individual permissions and make sure the varying users aren't inheriting too many permissions from
the group.

Otherwise, if the backups don't have differing requirements I would suggest a common user between servers. If there
isn't a requirement for extra complexity I try to avoid it.

Good night,
Dan