Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: RE: ADS Password Storage Protection

From: "dave kleiman" <dave () davekleiman com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:14:24 -0400

Eric,

I beg to differ.

Are you suggesting that a 40-60 character passphrase "&Old King Cole was a
merry old soul, a merry old soul was he; he called for his pipe, he called
for his bowl!!" is not more secure than "$%Op13f987&"

First the above passphrase will never have and LM hash store, the random
password will.
Second the above passphrase will not, at anytime in the near future, be
susceptible to rainbow tables.
Third put that on L0pht or Cain and maybe our great-grandkids can use it in
their science report to do a contrast and comparison essay on the cracking
speed between now and when that is done.

Ok well, maybe I am just being biased because of:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/104-2573870-0538346?platform=gurupa&url
=index%3Dblended&keywords=perfect+passwords&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

However, I have my money on the passphrase.

Respectfully,

Dave Kleiman, CAS,CCE,CIFI,CISM,CISSP,ISSAP,ISSMP,MCSE

http://www.davekleiman.com/about.php