Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SSH server under attack...

From: "Bryan S. Sampsel" <bsampsel () libertyactivist org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:16:24 -0700 (MST)

Dave wrote:
This sounds like a good idea. But I cant install portsentry on the
router...which still can be scanned to find it's *open* ports. I think
we are going to set up linux box as firewall using iptables and install
portsentry etc...Off hand do you know if portsentry (or any other
application that) will notify you in real time of any attempted
intrusion via email?

Yes.  You can use sendEmail, a perl script to send to your SMTP server and
avoid setting up an SMTP server on your firewall.

Linux or FreeBSD will do wonders for you.  And based on some comparisons
I've done, I'd say you'll see a performance pickup.

good luck.

bryan

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus