Security Basics mailing list archives

Blocking WMF Files via Squid

From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jeremy () linuxwiz net>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:17:24 -0500

The first step was filtering files with the ".wmf" extension at the e-mail gateway via McAfee's Groupshield. The other step was to block URLs ending in ".wmf" through Squid, the caching proxy server (through which all of our HTTP traffic is transparently proxied).

I have detailed the few steps that were needed to do this at http://www.jeremygaddis.com/2005/12/29/blocking-wmf-at-the-perimeter/
in the event that it might be useful for others looking to do the same.

Please feel free to comment or provide feedback that may be of benefit.

Thanks,
-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, GCWN, Linux+, Network+
http://www.jeremygaddis.com/

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus