Security Basics mailing list archives

network traffic

From: "ken zo" <kenzo_chin () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:55:56 -0600

I'm confused or I'm missing something here.
from my laptop plugged into a port that goes to a Cisco switch, I can see alot of stuff that I shouldn't see. I can see web sessions, sessions to our Lotus Notes server, telnet sessions and others. I know I"m suppose to see the ARP broadcast and stuff like that, but web sessions and other tcp sessions? I'm on a fully switched network and the port is not spanned. I think I remember from somewhere that if a switch gets overloaded, it will act as a Hub. I looked at couple switch stats and I'm not exactly sure how to tell if it is being overloaded.
What else could it be? anyone?
thanks.

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus